Friday, September 14, 2007

On The Page - A Scriptwriting Podcast


So I'm racking my brain about the best way to "attack" writing my next play. My biggest hurdle seems to be Research. I have my subject, but I think that I'm taking way too much time figuring out how I'm going research this subject instead of actually writing the play. I was, still planning to, write to my previous instructors on how they research subjects for their plays, but then this topic came up on a podcast that i'm listening to called ON THE PAGE hosted by Pilar Alessandra.

In the most current episode of ON THE PAGE, it was kismet that the topic of Research came up. What her and her co-hosts/producer advised to do was WRITE THE SCRIPT. All the research stuff can come up after the story is done. Which makes perfect sense to me, since that seems to have pinned the nail on my problem of not even starting to write the play - I've been spending too much time worried about how to research it.

Other advice from them regarding research:
- Use the internet. Luckily, with this medium, I can research different locations and thoughts even.
- Ask someone with knowledge on the topic. Spend a couple of bucks on a coffee or Jamba Juice and the information you get back might be ten-fold that amount - which is $20 - $30... but you know what I mean.

Thanks ON THE PAGE for the advice!

No comments: