Friday, September 28, 2007

Remembering Fermin Tobera


I started doing research about the 1930 Watsonville riot that claimed the life of Fermin Tobera. A play is in there somewhere. The weird coinikidinky in this research is that the riot started at The Filipino Club in Palm Beach which is 7 miles SW of Watsonville, so that would make it near Moss Landing. Anyways the club was owned by William and Charles Locke-Paddon. William Locke-Paddon bought the land called, Marina - My hometown! I can't believe all this Filipino-American history was only 18 miles from my home. here's where I started my research: Remembering the Watsonville Riots from a website called, ModelMinority.com.

The story is about two brothers: Venancio, aka Ben, and Fermin Tobera. Fermin is an idealist who believes in labor workers' rights. Ben just wants to have fun and is always trying to get the girl and having fun. One night when Ben gets in trouble, they come to their house at night where one of the girls' that Ben's has been messing with, anyways her brother shoots up the house killing Fermin. This play is based on the 1930 Watsonville Riots.

No comments: