Sunday, September 2, 2007

my new full-length play


my new full-length play will be about Filipinos in the US Navy. That's my subject, but i have no idea about what the story will be, YET! i'm hoping that by brainstorming here, something will come out.

so this started from going to a wedding this past weekend down in san diego. the wedding was on a naval base, and the daughter for one of my dad's closest friends was the one getting hitched. anyways, it made me start to think about these men. what made these men join the navy and provide for their families? i just found out that the US started granting filipinos to join the us navy in order to have a military base in the pi. just everything about this subject is very personal and add onto that... i miss my dad. we never really talked about anything, well except when he'd yell or nag at me about something. but being at this wedding... seeing his compadres. all navy retired men.

so, as i said this is my subject. i have no story. i'm almost finished reading a screenwriting book by this guy named syd field. at first i was very weary of picking up this book for the simple fact that i'm going to be a PLAYWRIGHT, and i was feeling pretty stuck up. but i had to put that aside and tell myself that at the core of ALL OF THIS is that i just want to be a storyteller. this book, "Screenplay: The Foundations of Screenwriting" has totally opened my eyes and really made me aware of a story/films structure. something that i never really thought about, but something that i definitely needed.

so here a couple of story ideas that are floating in my noggin':
- a group of navy retirees get together to honor someone who's died and there's a hidden treasure involved
- something to do with a navy family
- more things...

anyways, i'll write more later.

btw, i had a lot of fun just getting away! very much needed!

No comments: