Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Odd Couple - Script Review

Another script finished. The ODD COUPLE by Neil Simon. This was originally produced on stage in 1965, but the story is still applicable to today's culture.

SYNOPSIS
A divorced slob invites a group of the boys over for cards, one of the guests, who happens to be very meticulous and tense, has just been separated from his wife. The slob and the neat-freak decide to share one apartment; but patterns of their own disastrous marriages begin to reappear with hilarious results.Credit to the description page of the play at - stageagent.com.

WHAT I'LL STEAL LEARN TO USE
- Neil Simon's timing is incredible and I guess that's what makes great comedy.
- There's a lot of play on words in this play that makes things funny. Grrr.. If I had the script (i had to return it to the library) I'd quote some great lines.
- Unlike the other plays I've read so far, this was very... down to earth. The dialogue just flowed as if it was made for TV. Very natural and at first I thought I was watching the TV Show, but towards the end, it had a deep message and understanding.

Unfortunately, I didn't see too much of an arc with Felix's character. Plus, at the beginning of the play, they kept mentioning Murray's a Cop, but nothing really followed up with him being a cop. Like, because they played it up so much, there should've been something more significant, like a murder or a theft, that used this follow of him being a cop. The other characters seemed a little thin as well.

No comments: