Thursday, March 3, 2011

Launching a career as a Playwright

One of the things I learned from the Anthem Salgado's workshop on Blogging was to have a "search-friendly" Blog Post title. Hopefully this will be the first of many posts that will bring more insight on what's the goings on as I really do launch into this career that I've always felt was my calling and have honestly took for granted.

I've been writing plays since 1995 and I believe the exact moment that set me on this path was hearing an audience laugh at a line during the PCN (Pilipino Culture Night) Play I wrote for Samamhang Pilipino at CSU, Sacramento in 1995. I remember when everyone was off to the Union at the reception after the final bows, I was left cleaning up the Music Recital Hall where the production was performed. I sat down in one of the seats of the auditorium, and soaked in every moment of that night. People actually cared about the story I remember handwriting in the bed of my old pickup after having the different characters' stories intertwine during the life of a marketplace (palengke) in the Philippines. Back then, I didn't know what drama, conflict, structure, or a dénouement was. I just had a story that needed to be told. And by golly, I did it and an audience reacted to it. It also taught me how much working in a production can't be done on it's own. I "directed" it, but I knew how much each individual person would bring to the role. I felt bad because I had to re-cast one of the roles, well, the actor missed A LOT of rehearsals without explanation, but other than that, I've been hooked on storytelling for a live audience ever since.

It's 16 years, and quite a few plays later, and I'm now ready to make that leap into trying to turn this into a career. A career? Like actually trying to make a living at this? I'd love to, but it's also a comfort to know that I have a really good day-job to fall back on as a Web Developer. But it's still nice to dream. BIG!

No comments: