Wednesday, June 18, 2008

unrequited love/friendship

I just had to get this out in terms of exploring unrequited love/friendship as a theme for a new play. Most likely this will be thought of into a 10-minute as it's an artform that I've not only fallen in love with, but really understand the structure and elements of a play. Of course, writing for this won't keep me from wanting to write a full-length, but I'm pretty sure that if I can nail this format, I'll be able to nail the full-length as well.

Back to this theme. I'm just really feeling strongly towards this theme because I'm going through this right now. I know that it's probably all in my head, but... sometimes I wonder. Regardless if this is in my noggin', it's still a pretty real "emotion" - the feeling of loving someone more than they love you. There's just so many varying degrees of this feeling that I'm going to explore from my point of view. It's really interesting. If I was younger, I'd be going through... let's be honest, I have gone through this again. Probably to the point where this relationship I have with this other person is irreparable, well to the point where it was at one point in time, but I am much older and wiser now to not get too caught up in the sadness, jealousy, spitefulness, and otherwise NEGATIVE, yet human, energy. I mean, sure it's there, I am human, but honestly, not to the degree as it was in another phase of my life. I know I'm rambling, but that's what blogs are for.

Okay, now prefacing all that I have, loving someone more than they love you is a universal thing. Sometimes, if a person's not careful, if the other person senses this, they can, and probably should, take advantage of that person's affections. But I think the tragedy is that sometimes the person giving the affection will probably try harder the more the other person doesn't reciprocate. Sad. This is good, but I have to be aware not to make the hero a sad sack of poo instead of a sympathetic character.

At any rate, this has been weighing on my mind. Something I need to write about.

No comments: