Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Power of Desire

With gleeful intent I've been watching and more importantly learning from various forms of fictional media specifically movies, a play, and reality tv. I haven't written anything that can be construed as new for a good couple of weeks, but this time away from the Script Template I got going in word, has given me a chance to get critical about the things I know makes a work of drama worth seeing. Rule number one: ask what is the character's ultimate desire/want/goal. Numero dos: write what it is that is stopping said character from achieve that goal/want/desire. My problem is that I've been focused on the delivery of the words that characters use rather than the definition of clearly defining these seemingly simple objectives. Without this desire of the characters, not even the cutest, read quick-witted, of lines will resonate with the audience after the first step outside the theater doors.

And, taking the much valued lesson of Tony Kushner's ANGELS IN AMERICA, the more desperate a characters want to grab his or her desire, the longer the cathartic reminiscence remains. I still think about the ramifications of Louis's decision to leave Prior. I guess what gets me is not only the fact that it goes against everything I believe was wrong in his decision, I still think about WHY he made his choice to leave the person he loves... who is dying. And for some unknown reason, I can't let morally incomprehensible, aka fucked up, decision go.

There's a lot of things I need to explore in this Pulitzer Award winning play, but I'm so glad to have experienced this. It hopefully makes me a better writer.

No comments: