Thursday, August 26, 2010

Stuck

STUCK

(DRAFT Version 1. 08/25/2010)

Phoenix - Early 20's. Designer.
Gynn - Mid 20's. Web engineer.

(PHOENIX and GYNN are standing in line at a sandwhich shop.)

PHOENIX: What do you think, Gynn? Should I get it?

GYNN: (passive) What?

PHOENIX: Should I get it?

GYNN: The #11? Yeah. Sounds good, Phoenix.

PHOENIX: I wasn't talking about the sandwiches. I was talking about getting the Ford Fiesta. What do you think? I just love that name, Fiesta. Just sounds so... fiesta!

GYNN: Sure. Why not?

PHOENIX: I know. It's like my Civic hella breaks down all the time now. But I don't wanna get rid of it.

GYNN: Harper mentioned your road trips.

PHOENIX: So, that's what my ex-roommate's been telling you. All our adventures.

GYNN: San Diego to meet up with some guy you met on MySpace?

PHOENIX: Hey! Ya never know where you'l find your soulmate. That person could be right next to ya or 600 miles away. Ya won't know 'til ya let go and find out. I'd love to have what you and Harper got.

GYNN: (beat) So, what are you going to order?

PHOENIX: The #24 sounds snazzy.

GYNN: Maybe I'll try that.

PHOENIX: Wawa-what?! Mr. Consistency is even considering verring off the course of his beloved #11. The sandwich you've been ordering everyday since ever.

GYNN: Sometimes it's good to change things up.

(PHOENIX stops and stares at GYNN with great suspicion.)

GYNN: What?

PHOENIX: What did you do to the real, Gynn? The real Gynn don't change for no one. He only wears a black shirt, jeans, and New Balances every day because he has a thing for Steve Jobs.

GYNN: It's called efficient dressing. And Steve Jobs is a national hero. All I'm saying is that sometimes, change is good. If you don't change, you stay... stuck.

PHOENIX: That's pretty damn deep.

GYNN: I love you.

PHOENIX: What?

GYNN: I love you, Phoenix. I love how you can go for hours without taking a breat between sentences because I can see your thoughts dance in your eyes. I love the fact that you can drop everything and jump in a car and drive all the way down the state for that chance of meeting The One.

PHOENIX: Gynn. Stop.

GYNN: I'm just...

PHOENIX: Harper.

GYNN: Stuck. (beat) Phoenix, say something.

PHOENIX: I... I can't.

GYNN: I know that you and Harper are...

PHOENIX: I like you too.

GYNN: What?

PHOENIX: I'm not stupid. I can see that you and Harper are... and I can see how you look at me. You aren't that slick. But you know that we can't.

GYNN: You're right. You're right.

PHOENIX: So, what are you gonna tell Harper.

GYNN: The truth.

PHOENIX: About us?

GYNN: There is no us.

PHOENIX: Right.

GYNN: Right. Are we okay?

PHOENIX: No. I mean you just don't come out and say I Love You, and everything's okay.

GYNN: I'm apologize.

PHOENIX: It's... all good. Not relly, but let's just chill.

GYNN: Right. Chill. Order our sandwiches and head back to the office.

PHOENIX: That's the plan. (to the sandwich maker) Uh, excuse me... Hi. I'll have the 24.

GYNN: And I'll have the #11... wait. I... I changed my mind. Please make that a #15. Thanks. (to Phoenix) Um... out of curiosity, if you and Harper weren't?

PHOENIX: Sisters?

THE END

No comments: